Saturday, May 3, 2008

Getting ready to race!



The chill is finally out of the air, and thoughts have turned to the local dirt track. Since I was a kid I dreamed of being in one of those thunderous, ground shaking cars, making their way around the track. We never had enough money growing up to do anything like that, but, finally in 2005 (at the ripe old age of 42) I got my chance! Thanks to Merrittville Speedway for bringing back the "Enduro race". I thought about it, and thought about it. Then I just said, "if I don't do it now, I never will". So, off i went in search of a car. My first prize was an old buick regal, 6 cyl, 4 door. Stripped her down to meet the tracks rules, welded a roll bar in place, and gave her a gloss black tremclad coat. The final touch was to put the number "J40" on the sides of the car, as that used to be my dads number when he raced, back in the 1950s. I could not put the number on the car, as it was a surprise for him. My wife & I, and a good friend, Cam, managed to get the car to the track on a borrowed trailer. My mom, dad, Uncle Gary, cousin Will, and daughter, Sheri all made it to the track on the spectators side to watch, and get a good laugh! I was running around in the pits to find some duct tape, so I could put that J40 on the sides of the car. Cam finally found some from another driver he knew. We got that on & waited for our turn to race. About 15 minutes before the race, here came dad to see how things were going. I think he was just as nervous as me by the look in his eyes. Then he saw the number on the car. I could have swore he had a tear in his eye, along with the BIG smile! That just made it all worth while.

(to be continued)

1 comment:

Mary and Bob said...

WOO!! Welcome to the BLOGS Steve!!

I'm looking forward to reading updates.

I never knew the full story why or how you got into racing.

:o)

Bob and I are looking forward to seeing you race one day!!!